Monday, June 6, 2011

On your mark, get set, GO!!!!

June 1st has come and gone which means I am officially a Grad student at Arkansas State University.  This title also means I am loaded down with work.  Please note that I was slightly worried that AState would be a breeze coming from my private university. Ha! What an ignorant thought! I have completed my 3rd day of graduate school and I sit here in my apartment where I've been for the past 6 hours working on homework.  I am still working on reading 2 chapters in a textbook "The Voice and Voice Therapy".  Yes I know I sound like a slow reader, but I desire more than to just read the text.  I want to comprehend it and be able to sound intelligent when asked what I read.  6 hours later and the only question I will be able to answer is, 'What did you read about?' my response: 'The larynx'.  I honestly know a lot more than that, pinky promise, but I'm too afraid to speak up fearing I'll say something incorrectly or get something totally backwards.  Last night while studying I confused the epiglottis with the esophagus.  If anybody reading this is a CSD person you know that was a HUGE mistake!!! I guess I was in Jenn World and not paying attention anyways I went back and re-read the sentence and I was like oh my word I'm losing my mind!!!  This morning I went to my neurologist for my 6 month check-up.  He asked how my migraines had been and how my migraine medicine was working.  I told him the medicine was working great, except for the past month or so.  I then explained my migraines had moved from solely above my eyebrows to the back of my neck and right above my eyebrows.  He then inquired: "Have you been under a lot of stress lately?".  To this I replied, "Well I found out on April 26th that I got into grad school here and had to leave everything and move here...grad school started June 1st."  He was like oh yeah I'd say thats pretty stressful...well you're having tension headaches along with your migraines.  (AWESOME).  Basically he gave me muscle relaxers to take when I get "tension headaches" (everyday?), but I can't take them on school days (Monday-Thursday) until I learn how my body will react to them.  Sheesh!!!  So I'm not really sure how to handle tension headaches since Dr. Neurologist Man said tylenol, advil, etc. won't get rid of them and I can't take muscle relaxers on school days. My life has been taken over by Grad School and yay for me I start at Chili's in Jonesboro at the end of this week.  Hopefully I will learn to lean on God through all of this and not myself thereby getting rid of the tension headaches without taking medication.  Also if I learn to lean on God I'll survive the next 18 months because without Him there is no way I'll make it!  Ok now I have to get back to reading this textbook so I can finish and move onto the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment